Thursday, September 3, 2009

Premature Evacuation


So, it's Wednesday and normally that would mean it's time for a Weird Product post, but I've been foiled in this pursuit by a phenomenon I will call "premature evacuation."

Premature evacuation is what happens when you buy a hair product, give it few tries, determine it isn't right for you, get rid of it, and then suddenly regret its absence. You think of several ways you could have used the product but didn't. Or you read about inventive ways that others used it that you wished you had tried. Bottom line: you wish you still had the product so you could experiment a bit more.

That's what happened to me with Curl Junkie's Aloe Fix Gel. I got a little sample of it and thought it showed some promise. So I bought a jar of it. Used it a few times and never was able to repeat those initial good results. In fact, every subsequent time I used it, my hair got a little uglier. Frizz, limpness, general yuckiness. A couple of weeks after purchasing it, I swapped it at NaturallyCurly for some of my beloved Kinky Curly Curling Custard.

And I was going to write about it for Weird Product Wednesday -- until I started reading that I should have tried using it on dry hair instead of wet. Or that it works if you apply it to your hair before bedtime. Or use it without a leave-in conditioner. Or use it only with leave-in. Or apply it only to the ends of your hair.

So now I feel like I can't cast any aspersions on this product whatsoever because I failed to use it every possible which way known to humankind. Even Marsha herself (owner of Curl Junkie) gives some tips on her blog that I didn't try.

Therefore, due to premature evacuation, I will not be featuring a Weird Product this Wednesday. What a loser I am.

3 comments:

DEL said...

Awwww Jill don't be so hard on yourself! It's not easy controlling the PJ monster and you swapped for something you know won't fail you. It's still possible it wouldn't have worked for you because of the Glycerin no matter how you used it. Let it go, NEXT! As long as you continue to visit the forums you'll never be out of the PJ loop ;)

Makeup Theory said...

This is what happened with me with Kinky Curly Curling Pudding. I saw those You Tube videos with women drowning their hair with product. When I tried that the results were just awful.

Several months later, I read on the actually product website how it's supposed to be used and I regretting giving away the $25 jar I'd bought. I recently bought more and put just a dab on my curls and it's wonderful.

Claudia Corson said...

Hmmmm, I have a big tub of this :) I'd be delighted to send you a sample if you want. You can pm me at CurlyinColorado at NC.com if interested.